1. If a student and her/his parents are foreigners, can she/he apply for OCAC-Suzhou?
As long as one of the parents are Chinese (with or without Chinese Nationality), the student CAN apply for OCAC-Suzhou.
2. Is there an entrance exam and/or interview for all students? Is there any special requirement for students’ English abilities?
We will invite the student’s family to attend our selection day based on the application form/package we receive beforehand. The aim of the selection day is to recruit students who will make full use of the opportunities provided by the school and who are in accord with the school’s mission and vision. Details are not published.
3. Are the awards which a student has received in previous schools of any help when she/he applies for OCAC-Suzhou?
Please send the relevant materials to us, which will help us to know the student better.
4. If a student is transferred to OCAC-Suzhouu from a public school, is there any tutoring program available to ensure the transition is successful? What could parents do to help the transition during the summer?
In OCAC-Suzhou we follow the Chinese National Curriculum standard and adopt the inquiry-based learning approach of the IB PYP. Teacher will give those who have just transferred from public school special guidance during the inquiry process. Peer support and cooperation will also be available.
During this coming summer, we encourage all the new students and transfer students to practice reading, listening and speaking in both Chinese and English; meanwhile, we encourage all parents to carry out outdoor activities and explore nature with your child, in order to cultivate a positive attitude towards learning.
5. Will OCAC-Suzhou offer a summer programme for students?
OCA Suzhou has built a close partnership with overseas educational institutions. We are planning to offer our first summer programme in the summer of 2018. The focus of our summer programme will be outdoor explorations.
6. What kind of English learning materials will OCAC-Suzhou use?
This is a sample list, and does not include all the English textbooks and resources that OCAC-Suzhou teacher will use:
- New Leveled Bookroom 4.0 Grades K-6 [over 5000 books suitable for guided reading for all grades. This edition includes print and digital resources and assessment tools]
- Leveled Math Readers Grades K-5 [Complete Set of 540 books for all grades. Reinforce Critical Math Concepts while Building Literacy Skills]
- Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics: Developmentally Appropriate Instruction for Grades Pre-K-5 (Volume I) (2nd Edition)
- Step Up to Writing Grades K-5 Classroom Set (with access to online resources), 4th Edition
- Picture-Perfect Science Lessons, Expanded 2nd Edition: Using Children’s Books to Guide Inquiry.
- PYP Springboard Inquiry Box: Maps and exploration
- PYP Springboard: Resources authors and stories
- PYP Springboard Inquiry Box: Recycling our world
Most of these book series include American Common Core curriculum support, and they are all aligned with the IB PYP curriculum framework.
7. When are the arrival and departure times of students?
Arrival time: 7:50~8:00am
Departure time depends on whether the student has a CCA after school.
If so, departure time will be 4:00~4:15pm.
If not, the student can be picked up at 3:00~3:10pm. Students can also stay at school doing supervised homework and leave school at 4:00~4:15pm.
8. Will OCAC-Suzhou provide a bus service for students?
OCAC-Suzhou has contracted a company to provide a bus service for students. Bus stops will be arranged and/or adjusted every semester.
9. Is there an extra charge for co-curricular activities (CCAs)?
CCAs are an important component of the whole person education in OCAC-Suzhou. It is compulsory for all students to attend CCAs, but they may choose different activities on different days. Most of the activities are organized and carried out by OCAC-Suzhou teachers and they are free of charge.
A relatively small number of activities are provided by experts outside (Kun Opera is a possible example). If students choose these activities, the provider may charge appropriately according to the actual labor and material costs.